There are a ton of decent RC cars currently available from a variety of brands like Traxxas, Redcat and Exceed. These companies are mainly focussed on building fast cars for racing around a track or on the streets.
But, getting the fastest or the RC car that’s best at drifting isn’t for everyone. In some circumstances, an off roader is going to be the best choice. For many people, especially those that prefer to go slow and steady, an off road RC car might be the best choice. And the brands I’ve mentioned, as well as others, do have choices available for those looking for off road RC’s.
There are a few different RC cars available which make a good choice for off roaders. If you’re looking for something that will last you a while, then an off roader will do just that. Plus, off roaders tend to provide a different type of fun in comparison to racing cars. Either way, here’s a few off roaders you might want to consider.
Best Off Road RC Cars
Double E Monster
- 【All-terrain RC cars】:With powerful built-in motors,this RC monster truck can climb 45°slope, which makes the car run fast on different terrains. We have increased the vehicle size to a 1: 12 large scale with a better car styling and a vivid color design that provide a more realistic racing car and better cross-country racing experience. Which is the best car toy for boys girls kids age 3-5/ 4-7/8-12
- 【Brand new upgrade with high capacity battery】: Our remote car has improved to high capacity battery with 6V 800mAh rechargeable battery,in order to extend double running time for your kids which can enjoy the fun of driving ，please contact us service team for an EXTRA BATTERY.
- 【Excellent Driving&Climbing Performance】:DOUBLE E rc car toys are all packed with anti-slip tires give support to unexpected dropping and the unstable surface of the ground.The shock absorbers to prevent damages caused by the vibration effectively,better protect the electronic components in the toy that allow you to drive the RC car in all terrains.
The Double E Monster is one of the best options if you’re just looking to get into off road RC driving. It’s a 1/12 scale monster truck, so it’s still relatively big and bulky. It’s good for all terrains, which means that whilst it works well on rough rocks and gravel, it’s still good on flat surfaces and streets as well. If you want something that realistically looks like a monster truck, then this is a great choice as it’s pretty spot on to the real thing.
There are a few reasons why I’d recommend this model, especially for beginners. Firstly, you don’t need to mess around with batteries, as you can easily charge this within 2 hours and you’ll get roughly 40 minutes of life. The best bit? You can charge it via USB, which is a welcome relief for anyone who is used to toys draining the life out of their AA’s or other sorts of batteries.
Whilst it isn’t the fastest RC car on the block, that’s not really what we’re looking for here. We want something that can go at a decent pace and handle any terrain, which this can. The motor is strong enough for it to power up pretty much anything, which is one of the most important aspects of an off roader. Overall, for beginners this is probably the best option, as it’s available at an entry level price too.
Redcat Racing Blackout XTE
Top Speed – 35mph
- 4WD Monster truck, Revolutionary "bashable" chassis design with swappable interchangeable components, Ball bearings throughout.
- Tunable suspension, Adjustable ride height, Tunable shocks, Tunable gear differentials, Adjustable camber, Adjustable toe angle.
- Designed with the basher in mind. Less parts = more savings. Many of the components are interchangeable front to rear and/or side to side.
If you’re looking for something with a particularly impressive speed, then Redcat Racing is one of your best bets to opt for. They make some of the fastest RC cars around, and with the Blackout they combine speed and durability to a decent degree. It’s got an RC550 brushed electric motor, which gives it more than enough power, though you’ll want to be careful after using the car as it can get hot.
Another of the better things about higher end off roaders like this is that they tend to be better at dealing with water – you can submerge this one pretty deep and not have to worry about water damage. Make sure after your RC car does hit water that you dry it off thoroughly however, as leaving it wet can lead to damage to the screws (they’ll start to get rusty).
Of course, it’s a 4WD and it will pretty much obliterate anything that’s in it’s path. With a top speed of 35mph, this is pretty impressive for a large truck like the Blackout. As any monster truck should be, it’s extremely durable and it’s undoubtedly an impressive RC car.
- Team Orion basic wall charger and Ni-MH battery are included
- Oil shock conversion kit included in the box for more effective damping
- Three-piece wheel eliminates the need for tire glue when a tire change is necessary
If you want something that’s a step up from the Double E, then you can look at more prestigious brands like Kyosho. They make a good choice for those that want to take their RC off roading a little more seriously.
The Axxe is a great intermediate level RC car that has an awesome pistol grip controller with a unique design. It’s particularly fast for an off roader, and it’s quite nimble too. This is one of the benefits for opting for a smaller frame RC car as opposed to a big monster truck, as you get a lot more ability to manoeuvre like you’re driving a touring car.
The only bad thing about the Axxe is that it doesn’t have the best battery life. For several hours of charging, you’re generally only going to get around 40 minutes of play time. This isn’t too bad, but there are a lot better out there if battery life is a key reason for purchasing an RC car.
HBX All Terrain
- Powered with superb and fast brushed RC380 motor in unceasingly efficient drivetrain , this 4WD truck Rampage speeds topping to 36 km/h, which finds operators in marvelous enjoyment.
- All is fulfilled in hobby class design with classic ball bearings, solid gear diff., independent suspension. It is durable, speedy, funny and yet affordable, which is advisable to be a gift for the R/C beginners or children.
- 2.4GHz full-function proportional radio control system suffices a stable control range within 280 feet. Reliable transmission forward, brake and reverse would never fail. Splash waterproof electronic components make a all-terrain vehicle out of this truck. No worries to run this truck on grassland , sands, and bumpy grounds.
The HBX is a 1/18 scale monster truck, which makes it one of the smallest monster trucks around. If you want something that’s particularly fast as well as capable of handling off road, then the HBX would be a solid choice. You can get speeds of up to 25mph, which is great for an off roader that’s not too expensive.
Although it’s small, it’s by no means any less durable than any of the other monster trucks. Although it’s not fully waterproof obviously, it is relatively splashproof. So if you enjoy going out in the rain with your RC cars, then it’s worth looking at a model like this one that isn’t going to die at the first sight of water. It has a decent battery life too.
If you want an RC car that’s fast and nippy but also really durable, then this would likely make a decent choice. It’s small enough to get some decent speed, but it’s still capable of driving on pretty much anything.
GoStock Off Road Monster Truck
No products found.
Looking for the fastest off road RC car at the cheapest price? Then the GoStock might be one of the best options for you. The GoStock can handle speeds of over 30mph, which is particularly impressive for an off roader. It has a decent range of 200 feet and responsive steering, which is especially important for an RC car as fast as this one.
It deals with different terrains really well, and it has some decent tyres which benefit from the independent suspension system. This means that you’ll have greater ability at climbing up particularly awkward areas, which you might struggle if you didn’t have this type of suspension. Again, with the model the only real is the battery life. For a few hours charging, you’re going to average between 35-40 minutes of battery. This isn’t great, but it’s still good enough for most.
Hosim Oversized Wheel Truck
- 【1:10 Large Scale Size & 4 Wheels Drive 】--- The 1:10 Scale big size and full proportional super-fast RC monster truck, the RC Cars four wheels consist of bouncing spring materials which give support to unexpected dropping and the unstable surface of the ground, make your children enjoy the high speed rc off road car for a longer period of time;
- 【2 High Capacity 1600mAH Batteries】--- The High Speed Remote Control Cars Come with 2 New Batteries, The 7.4V Rechargeable Battery Pack features a high capacity rating of 1600mAh. the rc trucks for boys and adults will run for up to 30-40 minutes at a time!
- 【46km/h Amazingly Fast】The max speed of rc electric cars is up to 46km/h(30mph). off road rc car can go both off-road and on-road environments with premium anti-skid heavy duty wheels. all metal sealed ball Bearing are special designed for tough environments and any rugged roads;
Oversize wheels can be a great advantage to an off road RC car. The Hosim is an awesome example of that, and it’s oversized tyres make it almost unstoppable when you’re driving it through all sorts of different terrains.
Out of all the RC cars listed, this one has a really durable chassis, especially for a monster truck. Of course, the main selling point of this one is the oversized tyres, which are made from soft rubber, making it ideal for dealing with different surfaces. Although the plastic body itself isn’t the best quality, it’s hard to look past this one when considering a decent quality monster truck.
BBM Off Road Buggy
No products found.
Not everyone wants a monster truck when they’re looking for an off road car. And by no means do you have to have something big and bulky when going off road. Sometimes, a simple buggy might be a better option, with this BBM model a better. It has an RC390 brushed motor, which is good enough for this sort of vehicle. Like the Hosim, the oversized tyres on this buggy work well for it and make it good for dealing with any terrain.
It can get up to speeds of around 20-25mph, which make it as fun to use for racing at it is for going off road. It can pass through water easily and you won’t have to worry about water damage. Overall, this is another good model for anyone looking for something a little different to the standard off road truck.
Redcat Racing Everest Rock Crawler
Top Speed: 7-8mph
- Aluminum chassis, 4-Link suspension, Aluminum capped oil filled shocks, Beadlock wheels, Centrally mounted motor, Shaft driven, Locked diffs, Ball bearings throughout.
- Selectable upper shock positions, Adjustable ride height, Tunable suspension.
- Large aggressive tires, Scale body, Good articulation.
If you’re looking for your first off road RC car, then the Everest might be the best option. Whilst it’s a slow beast, it can pretty much handle any terrain due to it’s huge build and awesome tyres.
It’s known as a rock crawler, and it can definitely handle rough and rugged terrains. If you’re looking for something that you don’t need to worry about damaging, then off road cars like this make sense. Sure, buying the fastest RC car is fun to use, but they do get damaged relatively easily and they can be an expensive hobby. So for beginners, off roaders might be a good first step.
Particularly the Everest, which has a top speed of 8mph. But what is lacks in speed, it makes up for in specs. It has a great suspension system, which you’d expect for something described as a rock crawler. One thing that makes this a better choice than cheaper off road cars is that you have the ability to not only upgrade it, but fix it if there’s an issue. With cheap off road cars, once they get damaged, you can’t find spare parts for it. If you damage this model, then there’s a ton of parts on the market you can pick up to replace them.
For beginners, this is the best hobby crawler and off road RC car that you’ll find within it’s budget. If you’re willing to spend a little more than your budget RC cars, then opt for this one.
Toyard Rock Crawler
- ✔FAST SPEED: With a speed of 15m/h, the rc cars has a strong ability for climbing and suffer high suspension shocks. Remote control Cars can be played around parks, roads, trails, and hillside because rubber tires made or anti-skid material can be adjusted based on the varies road
- ✔LONG CONTROL DISTANCE: 50 meters remote control under the control of 2.4GHz radio strong anti-interference rc car receiving system and suitable for the better car competition.
- ✔RECHARGEABLE BATTERY: Equipped with 4.8V 700mA rechargeable batteries (With charge cable). Please charge the rc cars on time after playing for about 15-20 minutes, ensuing the enough power.The charge time will be for about 1-2 hours. 2 AA batteries (Not included) are needed into the controller.
Rock crawlers are definitely worth considering if you want some additional fun. They’re typically slower than your average off road car, but they can definitely handle terrains a little better. So, that kind of a trade is a decision only you can make.
Of course, with any rock crawler, you’re gaining a ton of durability, as it’s expected that you’re going to be getting rough and ready.. a lot. Although this is a cheap rock crawler, it’s actually surprisingly decent if you compare it to others that are much more expensive. It has a cheap chassis and design, but this is almost a plus with this, as you aren’t too worried about it getting damaged. It has a low battery life, but it’s pretty much what you’d expect from a rock crawler as cheap as this one.
If you’re looking for a cheap rock crawler to get you started, then this would make an awesome option.
Why should you consider an Off Road RC Car?
If you’re thinking about getting an off roader and you aren’t entirely sure on your decision, then there are a few reasons why you might want to opt for an off roader over other types of remote control cars. Here’s a couple of reasons why they might prove to be a better choice.
- You’re worried about damage – With RC cars, damage tends to come part and parcel with them – no driver is perfect (no matter what they might say!). So, you’re going to have to accept that with touring cars and drift cars, they’re going to get damaged at some point down the line. With off roaders, you need to worry a lot less about this, as they’re usually built to withstand a lot more. So for those who don’t want to be purchasing new bits for their car often, an off roader can make perfect sense.
- You prefer to go slow and tactical – Off road doesn’t necessarily mean slow. But, it is much more likely you’re going to have a bigger bulkier car, which will likely go slower and you’ll have to be more tactical about where you’re driving due to the terrain.
- You get bored easily – I love RC cars, but there’s no denying that if you’re using them every week, you might get a little bored of racing, or drifting, or whatever it is you do often. For this reason, an offroader is great, as it can help to break things up and give you a different option that what you’ve been doing. In an ideal world, you’d have one of each of these RC cars in your collection.
Off Road RC Car – Things to Consider
Before purchasing an offroader, there are a few different things that you’ll want to consider. Taking these things into account can help to ensure that you’re getting the best deal for what you’re looking for, so take all of these into account before buying.
- Price – The main thing that you’ll want to consider when you’re purchasing any RC car is the price. With RC cars, both off road and racers, there’s usually a drastic different in price that you can see easily that separates the quality levels. My rule of thumb is usually that below $50 is usually for kids and it won’t have any longevity to it, $50-100 is the sweet spot for beginners and you’re going to be looking at a minimum of $100 for anything really decent, but it’s often much more than this.
- Capabilities – Off road RC cars will have different capabilities depending on which model you go for. It ranges from off roaders that can just handle bad terrain and weather better than normal cars, to full on rock crawlers which can literally drive over anything. So, it also depends on what level of off road you’re looking for.
- Style – With off road RC cars, you generally get different types. Some people categorize rock crawlers as their very own type of RC car, but for me I tend to categorize them as off roaders because they’re well.. off road. But, they are very different to your typical off road RC car, which is more similar to a touring car but usually in a pickup, stadium truck or monster truck form. Depending on what you’re looking for, one of these will likely be a lot more suitable for you than the others.
To determine whether an off road car is for you, it really depends on what you’re looking for. If you’re looking for fast cars then they’re not for you, but if you prefer to go slow or you like the idea of being able to drive in any terrain, then an off roader will always prove to be the best option in this circumstance.
There isn’t the same amount of off road RC cars around as there is with other types. But, there’s still a decent enough selection for you to easily be able to find something that you’ll enjoy. So, do your research beforehand and get a decent off road RC car so that you can have some outdoors fun!
Last update on 2022-09-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API