If you’re trying to add a retro feel to your living room or bedroom, then you don’t get much more retro than a plasma ball. After lava lamps had their day in the 60s and 70s as the most popular novelty light, in the 80s it was plasma balls that took over as the most interesting retro item to have in your household.
But still today, people look at plasma balls as an awesome gift to give to your child – this is especially true if they’re interested in science. If they are, then you can be sure that a plasma ball would make the perfect gift for them. You can have a lot of fun with a good plasma ball, plus they look awesome too.
But, you need to ensure that you get the right plasma ball for your needs. This isn’t always that easy to do, so you need to make sure that you’re doing the right research and make sure that you get the right plasma ball for you.
Best Plasma Ball
Katzco 7.5inch Plasma Ball
- INTERACTIVE: These plasma balls have two different interactive modes. The 1st mode is a touch-sensitive show of multi-colored lights and the 2nd mode reacts to your touch and sound!
- PLUG IN: This Katzco plasma nebula lightening ball is powered by a 6-foot plug in cord.
- GREAT FOR DECORATION: This 7" plasma ball is a great piece of decor for your bedroom, living room, office, or anywhere else! It'll create a super cool science like atmosphere.
If you’re looking for the best option in a plasma ball, then you’ll want to consider this bestseller from Katzco. It’s one of the most popular plasma balls online, and there’s good reason for that.
It’s a really good quality plasma ball, and it’s of a decent size at 7.5 inches. You can either use it with or without audio, but personally I prefer to use it without. It’s powerful enough that it actually would make a useful night light if you’re looking for a relatively dim light to keep on whilst the kids are asleep.
You can either set this to mode 1, in which it will randomly dance around, or if you set it to mode 2, it will react to sound and touch. This means that you can trace your finger along the surface of the ball to create an effect. But, you can also play it with music or noise. So if you want to play your favorite music with it, then this is also a good idea, as it sounds pretty awesome too.
One thing to note is that this plasma ball does heat up pretty quickly when you’re touching it. So, don’t keep your hands on it for too greater length of time.
Lebbeen Glass Plasma Ball
- NEW VERSION OF SOUND:Touch & Sound Activated, it not only play with it by finger, but also by sound (like clap your hand, loudly Music and so on). It is sound activated and creates the same fun looks as the larger versions.
- FUNNY FOR KIDS: Creates an amazing light show - from any angle!A little bit of science, a little bit of art, and a whole lot of cool! This Plasma Ball is simply the ultimate interactive light show
- TOUCH SENSITIVE:Fascinating to watch, this Plasma Ball light is even more fun to play with! Just place your fingers on the glass surface and watch as colored bolts of glowing light follow your every move. You can actually "feel" the energy as the light gently tickles your fingertips
One of the more attractive 6 inch plasma balls is the Lebbeen. It’s another one thats not only touch sensitive, but also sound sensitive. Personally, these are my favorite types of plasma balls. With touch only plasmas, they obviously one react when you put your hands on it. But with sound reactive plasma balls, you can play music, sit back and watch the plasma ball react to the sound. This is much more fun in my opinion.
Another reason that you might like the Lebeen is that you can actually get a real feel for the plasma following your fingertips around the surface of the ball. It is a little bit smaller than your standard plasma ball, so bear that in mind before you make any decisions.
CozyCabin Small Plasma Ball
- 【3 inch Mini Plasma Ball】 - Plasma Ball is great for all ages of kids. Whether you are a fun loving work professional or a parent who wants their kids to learn about static electricity. This is a great year-round gift idea!
- 【Magic Lighting Ball】 - Plasma ball can be used as a prop for photos, videos, games, and other types of creative performances. Pretend to be a mad scientist with this ball! Kids will love seeing what happens when you touch it!
- 【Eye-Catching Decoration】 - The plasma ball lamp is absolutely great for decoration. Easily to be placed anywhere like bedroom, living room, office, create a super cool science like atmosphere.
If you want something a little smaller, then it could be worth considering the CozyCabin Small Plasma Ball. It’s only 5 inches in size, which makes it more suitable for those looking for something that can fit on a table without taking up too much space. As much as I love normal plasma balls, they can be a little big.
The good news is that even though you’re compromising on size, you’re not going to be compromising on usability. It’s really easy to use with your fingers, and it works in the same way as a standard size plasma. It works well, but it doesn’t work without sound, so bear that in mind before you decide on this one.
Theefun Magic Plasma Ball
- 🔮【Small Plasma Ball】-- The 3 inch plasma ball is a smallest one. The palm of an adult can hold the ball directly, which is more lovely than other sizes.
- 🔮【Touch Sensitive】-- Place you finger on the plasma globe surface, colored bolts of glowing light follow your every move. Plasma filaments extend from the electrode to the glass, giving the appearance of multiple beams of colored light, very beautiful in the dark, which perfectly demonstrating beautiful scientific phenomenon.
- 🔮【Great Christmas Gifts】 -- The magic plasma light will spark kid's curiosity, bring children's scientific fantasies to real life. Plasma Ball is perfect gifts for your kids, boyfriend & girlfriend on birthday, Christmas and all festivals. It is also great decoration for your bedroom, living room, office, writing desk or anywhere.
If you want the option of both a 3 inch and a 6 inch plasma ball, then it’s worth looking at this Theefun magic plasma ball. You can also consider getting one of each size, because they look super cool together.
You can use it both via USB or you can use it battery powered as well. making it a really good option for those who need both. It’s very quiet, so if you’re looking for something to use whilst you sleep, this would make a solid choice.
RioRand Desk Plasma Ball
- USB Plasma Ball
- Operate with a computer USB port or 4pcs AAA batteries(Not included)
- Give the appearance of a corona discharge with mulitple beams of colored lights
The RioRand plasma ball is 4 inches in size, making it perfect to attach to your USB port and use on your desk. It’s not great with batteries, and works much better when directly plugged into your USB. It’s a really cheap plasma ball, so if you’re trying to save as many pennies as you can, then this is likely to be a pretty solid option.
3 Inch Mini Nebula Plasma Ball
- 3" diameter globe novelty-style plasma lamp.
- Colorful streams of electricity dance across the surface of the globe.
- Touch the glass and the lightening streams attract to your fingertips.
Sometimes, the best things do come in small packages. This is certainly the case for this mini Nebula plasma, which is undoubtedly one of the cutest plasma balls that you’ll ever see. Of course, it’s absolutely perfect for keeping it on your desk whilst you work. You can use batteries with it, but for it’s size, you might as well pug it into the USB port in your computer. Another good option, especially if you want a small plasma ball.
SensoryMoon 8 Inch Plasma
No products found.
I’ve featured a lot of mini and small plasma balls here, but I guess it’s only fair that I look at some of the larger ones as well. This Sensory Moon plasma ball is a massive 8 inches, which makes it a great choice if you’re hosting a retro party and want to create an atmosphere.
Creative Motion Plasma Ball
- Plasma Lamp - Lightning at your Fingertips; The light will move with your finger on the globe; Measures 4.5 x 7H Black plastic base
- Plasma Ball, Novelty light, Thunder Ball
- Black Color
At the more expensive end of the plasma ball spectrum, this Creative Motion plasma ball is of the highest quality. It has one of the most interesting dynamics of any plasma ball, and it’s particularly attractive if you’re comparing it to others. It’s relatively large, so don’t opt for this one if you’re looking for something small and compact.
Most of the other smaller plasma balls are battery powered or USB powered. but this one works by your regular plug. If you’re after a good nightlight, then this night make a perfect choice.
What to consider before purchasing a plasma ball
Before you purchase a plasma ball, there are a few things that you’re going to want to consider prior to purchasing.
Plasma balls come in a wide variety of different sizes. You can find mini plasma balls as little as 3 inches, but the majority will range around the 7 inch mark. This is about standard for a plasma ball. If you want anything bigger than this, then you’ll need to up your budget considerably.
The amount of cash that you have to spend on your plasma ball is also something that you’re going to want to take into account. Depending on how much disposable money you have, each persons budget will be different. You don’t need to spend more than 20-30 bucks on a half decent plasma ball.
Whilst most plasma balls take on the old purple styling, you will find some out there that are a little different. Most people prefer the original look of a plasma ball, but this isn’t going to be for everyone. So, it’s up to you to determine what style of plasma ball you like and whether it’s going to work for you or not.
Overall, this is just a few of the better plasma balls that you’re able to find online. They’re an interesting retro novelty item, and they can make an awesome gift for any science obsessed kid. Plasma balls are also useful for those that work long hours at their desk, as they can provide a welcome distraction to the long hours you might spend chained in the office.
Although plasma balls were at their peak in the 80s, they can still make an awesome gift in the modern day. They’re pretty cheap, long lasting and can make an awesome alternative to a nightlight. A good plasma ball isn’t hard to find, just make sure you do some research beforehand.
Last update on 2021-07-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API